Basil is maybe my favourite spice. I eat it mostly raw or add it in the end of cooking. It is easy to grow in your home and it is almost impossible to kill it.
When to plant the seeds? Basil likes warmth and sun. So the best would be few weeks before the last frost. It would also be good to plant it inside first, and then replace it outside when you know it won’t freeze again. Because basil likes warmth, you can also try planting it during the winter but inside. If most of your winter days are sunny, that is an extra treat. This means that you can easily have fresh basil the whole year.
Most of the basils outside will dry out after summer. So make sure to harvest it before the first frost appears.
Basil needs regular water and a lot of sun and warmth. Just a small investment for this beautiful plant.
How and where to use it?
- I just can’t imagine tomato soup without fresh basil.
- Use fresh basil to garnish crackers with hummus or cashew cheese.
- Add it in every fresh vegetables salad. Trust me, it goes along with all vegetables!
- Dried basil can be used in all pot meals, risotto and even these rice burgers.
- Dried basil is also very good in this tomato soup.
- You can make your own dried basil the same way you made dried oregano.
I hope that this text inspired you to try growing basil yourself. If you have already done this, please let us know how your experience was. What helped you? What tips can you give to someone who begins?