Christmas is already here and the atmosphere is getting festive. All those smells, songs, joy, snow and presents! I am one of those people that like to give handmade presents. Since kitchen is where I love being, it is not a surprise that my presents include at least one homemade cookie. This year is no exception. I’ve decided to make some nice Christmas Ginger Cookies, decorate them myself and wrap them as a present. So let’s begin!
- Here is what you’ll need*
- 180 gr whole grain wheat flour
- 80 gr soy butter
- 100 gr brown sugar
- A pinch of baking soda and salt
- 2 tablespoon ginger powder
- 2 – 3 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon cacao powder
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon blackstrap molasses**
- How to make it? Mix first butter with sugar. I used a fork but make sure it’s mixed properly. Add then molasses. In a separate bowl mix flour, baking soda, cacao powder and spices. Add a pinch of salt. Add these to butter and sugar mass and mix it until you get the dough. Wrap it in a plastic foil and let it chill for at least an hour.
- Now use your rolling pin to roll it out. Make sure that the surface is floured. Don’t make it too thin because your ginger men may fall apart. If the dough sheet is evenly rolled out you can cut the gingerbread man with the cookie cutter. You can, off course, use any other cookie cutter you have or want.
- Now bake them in preheated oven at 180C no longer than 10 – 12 minutes. Set them on the cooling rack. When they are completely cooled, you can decorate them.
- A simple mix of icing sugar and water is my favourite. But there are lots of other ideas out there. The stores are full of it! Just make sure it’s vegan!
- * Makes about 25 cookies depending on your ginger cookie cutter.
- ** For my friends in Serbia: If you can’t find molasses, use half of a tablespoon of malt and add one teaspoon cacao powder for the colour. Malt is sweeter than molasses.
I hope this is an idea for your Christmas Ginger Cookies. If you like the recipe, leave your comment or write directly at email@example.com