If you need a simple, quick and tasty cake recipe then this is the (internet) place to be. LOL! I use couscous quite often in my kitchen. Why? Because it has a very special flavour that agrees with both main course and dessert recipes. With the right combination of ingredients, you can easily transform it into whatever you want to eat at that moment. Another advantage is the way of making it – one of the quickest methods ever. In this recipe for couscous cake with strawberry ice cream topping, it is combined with the simplest ice cream* recipe in the world!
- 1 small cup of couscous
- 2 cups water
- 3 – 4 spoons ground hazelnut
- 1 tablespoon or more of malt or some other liquid sweetener
- 1 tablespoon or more of cacao
- Pinch of salt
- 1,5 small cup couscous
- 400 ml coconut milk
- 1,5 or more spoons malt or some other liquid sweetener
- A bit of shredded coconut – optional
- Pinch of salt
- How to make it? First make the chocolate layer. Boil the water with malt and salt. Add then the couscous. Cook it for a few minutes (not longer than 5) and then add hazelnuts and cacao. Stir good and pour it in a square (or any other) baking dish. Set it on a cool and dry place to set but not the fridge.
- Now make the coconut layer. Boil the coconut milk, salt and malt. Add the couscous and coconut and cook for a few minutes but not longer than five.
- Pour this layer over the chocolate one and let it set until it’s completely cold. Only then do the cutting. I tried cutting while it was still a bit warm and it didn’t end up well. LOL! You can cut it using the cookie cutters, like I did as you can see on the photos, or simply use the knife. It is now up to your serving imagination.
- * The “recipe” for the simplest ice cream in the world would be: one banana, a bunch of strawberries and a bit of water. Mix it all in a blender and freeze in your favourite ice cube molds. You can even serve it as a sauce/topping so in that case you don’t need to freeze it.
I hope you like this recipe. If you do, please leave a comment bellow.