Or Father-in-law’s birthday Lemon Cake. This Lemon Cake is literally melting in your mouth. It has that refreshing lemony taste and even if you are not a fan of it – give it a try. You may change your mind!
You don’t need much time to make this cake and it is so much better than the one you can buy in the supermarket. Not to mention cheaper! So let’s make it for someone we love.
- 200 gr plain white flour
- 100 gr brown sugar
- 200 ml lukewarm water
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- Vanilla to taste
- Zest of 1 lemon and 1 lime*
- Juice of 1 lemon and 1 lime
- 4 – 5 table spoons of oil**
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- * This combination gave the best taste but 2 lemons or 2 limes are also fine.
- ** I usually use sunflower oil.
- 2 cups of icing sugar
- 4 tablespoons of lemon juice (usually one lemon or lime)
- Maybe 1 tablespoon of water - not always necessary
- How to make it? Preheat the oven at 180 C. Mix flour, sugar, vanilla and baking powder. In a separate bowl zest the lemon and lime and then add the freshly squeezed juice from them. Add the water and oil and stir well. Add the lemon mixture to dry ingredients and stir it good. As the last add the vinegar. You should get a more liquid dough, more like a thick yoghurt. Now pour the dough in the 28 cm round baking mold and bake for 40 minutes.
- Let it completely cool down before you put the icing.
- Make the icing. Pour the sugar in a bowl. Add the lime juice and start mixing. If after a minute it’s still too hard, add one spoon of water. That should be enough. The icing should not leak from the cake. It should stay there when you pour it on.
- Within a few hours it is ready to be eaten.