I grew up on this kind of food. In Serbia they were very popular “birthday food”. Recently I was visiting my parents in Serbia and my mum decided to make these Pretzels. There was just one little problem. The original recipe required eggs and milk. So my mum decided to veganize it so that the vegan in the family can enjoy them too. Is my mum great or what? She had few attempts but the successful version she wrote down for me and I am sharing it with you. This is why I call them: Mum’s Pretzels.
- 800 gr plain white flour
- 500 ml lukewarm water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 100 ml sunflower oil
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3 – 4 tablespoons raw pumpkin seeds
- 40 gr fresh yeast or 1 bag of dried yeast
- 1 – 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons white flour
- 1 tablespoon salt
- Enough cold water to get a liquid sauce
- Warm up the water with sugar and add yeast. Let it start rising.
- In the separate bowl, while the yeast is rising, mix flour, salt and pumpkin seeds.
- Add sunflower oil. The olive oil you will use to smear before you put the pretzels in the oven.
- When the yeast starts rising, add it with water to the flour mixture and make a dough. The rising of the yeast should take a minute or two, not longer than 5 minutes.
- Cover the bowl with the dough and let it set for 30 minutes. It should almost double its size.
- After 30 minutes preheat the oven to 200 C, place the baking paper on the baking tray.
- Make the pretzels now. Take a golf ball size dough and roll it with your hands to a thin string. Fold the sizes towards the middle and let them meet. Roll them one time around each other and then glue them to the middle together. Your pretzel should be formed. Watch the video below.
- Place the pretzel on the baking tray and repeat the process with the rest of the dough.
- Before putting the pretzels to the oven, smear each pretzel good with olive oil. Let them bake for 20 minutes and then get them out. Sprinkle the salty sauce over them and return them to the oven for another 5 minutes.
- These pretzels can stay fresh few days.
Thank you for reading this Mum’s Pretzels recipe. I am always happy to hear your opinion.
If you don’t want to miss news on FlexibleVegan.com then make sure to subscribe to our Newsletter. Check the right sidebar for the info.