Party Rolls or Kiflice in Serbian have many, many versions. It is a must food on birthday parties and it is usually made with soft cheese filling. This recipe was inspired by that favourite childhood food and it has been veganized on this website.
I have to admit that the biggest challenge for this recipe was assigning it a good name. A name that will carry the same meaning and memory as it has in Serbian. Well after consulting my family and friends, we came up with this: Party Rolls!
Since the name is different, the filling had to be changed too. I used veggie salami, paprika and olives, sprinkled with some dried oregano from my garden.
Here is how I’ve made them.
- 300 gr whole grain flour
- 200 gr white flour
- 250 – 300 ml lukewarm water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 50 gr soy butter + some for on top
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
- 7 gr dried yeast/1 bag
- 100 – 150 gr veggie salami
- 1 red paprika
- 100 gr olives marinated in olive oil and garlic (I buy them in the supermarket)
- + Sea salt to sprinkle
- First make the dough. Mix 250 ml of lukewarm water with one teaspoon sugar and yeast. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl mix the flours, flax seeds and salt.
- Add the soy butter on a room temperature and knead the dough.
- If the yeast started rising, add it to the mixture with flours. Form the dough, adding water if necessary.
- Set the dough to rest for 30 – 40 minutes.
- In the meantime, prepare the filling. Cut all ingredients and crush dried oregano with your hands.
- Now form the rolls. Flour the surface and with the rolling pin roll half of the dough to rectangular shape (as much as possible). Cut now lengthwise and 4-5 times widthwise to get small square shape dough. You should be getting 8 – 10 of these.
- Now take each piece and place the filling in the middle of the square shape dough. Use a bit of salami, olives and paprika and sprinkle it with dried oregano.
- Roll it starting from one side so that the filling stays inside. Place it in a baking tray with baking paper.
- Repeat the same procedure with the rest of the dough.
- On each roll place one teaspoon of soy butter and sprinkle with some sea salt.
- Preheat the oven to 200 C and bake the rolls for 35 – 40 min.
I hope you like this recipe for Party Rolls and that they will find their way to your next birthday party. If you have any questions regarding the recipe, let me know through my contact page or write me an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are new to (flexible)vegan diet and are looking for some easy recipes as well as tips and tricks on how to save your time and money then Flexible Vegan for Everyone is just the book for you. You can get your copy here.