If you are looking for a healthier version of a cake, then try this Spelt Flour Cake. It is easy to make and contains no refined sugar. Spelt flour makes it extra healthy and tasty.
- 200 gr spelt flour
- 5 – 10 tablespoons unsweetened soy milk
- 50 gr dates syrup
- 150 gr malt
- 3 tablespoons ground flaxseeds
- 180 gr soy butter
- 1 vanilla pod
- 1 baking powder (16 gr bag) – 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 100 gr poppy seeds
- 1 tablespoon apple sider vinegar
- 300 gr jam
- soy whipped cream
- In a small bowl or a cup mix ground flaxseeds and 5 tablespoons of soy milk. Let it set for a few minutes. In the meantime, in a separate bowl mix all dry ingredients. Add soy butter, dates syrup and malt and stir well. Add mixture of soy milk and flaxseeds and stir. Now slowly add spoon by spoon soy milk to the rest of ingredients so that you get a dough. It shouldn’t be too liquid.
- As the last add apple cider and stir.
- Preheat the oven to 180 C. Grease the baking tray with some soy butter, pour the dough in it and let it bake for about 30 – 35 minutes.
- When it’s baked and out of the oven, the cake will make a hole in the middle. That is where you will pour the jam. I have chosen for the forest fruit jam with no sugar added so it is more sour than sweet. It is ok as the cake itself is sweet already.
- Wait for the cake to cool down completely and only then add the filling and the whipped cream. I used Alpro soy whipped cream.
I hope you like this Spelt Flour Cake recipe. If you do, please, let us know and share it with others.
If you are new to plant based eating, feeling overwhelmed or confused and if you need a good guide on how to begin, then Flexible Vegan for Everyone is the book for you. You can check it here.