Between Christmas and New Year’s Eve I usually make a break in unhealthy sweets and try something healthier like this Winter Speculaas Cake. It is healthy and delicious. The combination of spices suits this winter time perfectly: it will warm you up and satisfy your cravings for sweets.
- 200 gr whole grain flour
- 60 gr brown sugar
- 100 ml sunflower oil
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon speculaas spice*
- 100 ml soy milk
- 1 tablespoon blackstrap molasses
- 1 handful dried apricots**
- 1 handful roasted hazelnuts
- Some almonds for the decoration
- First mix the oil with sugar. In the separate bowl mix the flour, baking soda, sugar and spices. Add the flour mixture to the oil and sugar. Add soy milk and start mixing it. You may need to use your hands to make the dough. In the end add the molasses.
- Now spread half of the dough in the baking tray.
- Sprinkle, previously cut, apricots and hazelnuts. Cover it with the rest of the dough.
- Decorate with some almonds and bake it in the preheated oven to 180 C for about 30 min.
- * Speculaas spice is Dutch spice mix which is used to spice food associated with the Dutch Sinterklaas celebration at December 5. The mixed spice is similar to Speculaas. If you can’t find either of the two, you can make your own mix with: cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, ginger and cardamom.
- ** I used apricots but you can experiment with whatever you want: dates, figs, raisins…
I hope you like this almost healthy Winter Speculaas Cake. If you do, please leave your comment bellow or use contact page to write to us.