I have to admit that my mum used to make my birthday cakes since I was little. As my diet changed, so were her recipes. But now we live quite far away from each other so I had to make it myself. LOL! In the city where I live, there are no vegan cake options. Well not that I know of.
I love baking so this one was a real pleasure making. And eating. What’s better than double chocolate birthday cake with whipped cream? Yum! So this is how I made my vegan birthday cake.
Let’s make it!
- 400 gr of whole grain wheat flour
- 140 gr of cacao powder
- 150 gr of brown sugar
- 400 ml of strong, dark coffee
- 200 ml of sunflower oil – I used mix of cold pressed and regular one
- 2 tablespoons of baking powder
- 2 vanilla sticks
- Half to one tablespoon of cinnamon, nutmeg powder and allspice
- A pinch of salt
- 2 spoons of malt or any other liquid sweetener
- 4 spoons of apple vinegar*
- 100 gr soy butter
- 1,5 cup powder sugar
- 1 cup cacao powder
- A bit of soy milk or any other plant-based milk
- How to make it?
- First the cake. Preheat the oven to 180 C. In a separate bowl mix first all dry ingredients. Add then the oil and coffee. You should get more liquid dough so if it is too firm, add some water. Add then the sweetener and, right before you pour it in the baking mold, add the vinegar and quickly stir. Put the baking paper in the baking mold and pour the dough in it. Bake for about 40 minutes. Check after 30 minutes if it’s baked. You can easily check by putting the fork in brownies. If it stays clean, they are baked.
- While the cake is baking, make the filling. First mix the butter and sugar. Add now cacao and enough milk so that you can easy mix it.
- When the cake is completely cooled down, cut it in half lengthwise and spread the filling in the middle.
- Carefully put the top back and let it set.
- As the last make the cream and decorate it.
- You will also need some plant-based whipped chream for the decoration. I used Alpro soy whipped cream. This one works fine, it’s not made of GMO and it is among the cheapest I could find.
I hope you like recipe for my vegan birthday cake. If you do, please leave your comment bellow.